The art museum is housed in a late 15th century castle which used to be the residence of the Magdeburg Archbishops. During the Thirty Years’ War, the Moritzburg suffered heavy damage and was extended into a museum around 1900. Between 2005 and 2008, the Spanish firm of architects Nieto Sobejano completed further spectacular extensions und covered the west and north wing of the castle with a modern roof construction. This added a modern touch to the historical styles which had characterized the Moritzburg’s appearance. In the new exhibition rooms, the foundation displays its valuable collection from the Classical Modern world, including two portraits form Lyonel Feininger’s famous Halle cycle, along with works by expressionists such as Brücke, Blauer Reiter, constructivists such as El Lissitzky and the school of Verism. The Hermann Gerlinger collection with outstanding portraits and graphic works of the “Brücke” (“the Bridge”) are on permanent loan to the museum. The permanent exhibition in the new wing continues with post-1945 to the present day, while the 19th century pioneer Modernists are shown in the historical rooms of the museum room.
GründungsjahrHeadquarters in the
Moritzburg of Halle since 1904
Converted to a public foundation in 2003
Business activitySpecial and permanent exhibitions of six collections of paintings, statues, graphics, photography, handicrafts and design as well as academic research into the works