Since 1927, races have been held on the former Sachsenring at the historic racetrack about an hour’s drive from Dresden in western Saxony, which have recorded spectator numbers of up to half a million. International championship races were held here up to 1972. As the route led partly through the city Hohenstein-Ernstthal, resulting in many accidents, the old racetrack was therefore closed after a last race in 1990. In 1996, the new Sachsenring was opened on the grounds of the road safety center. Every summer, visitors from all over the world travel to Saxony to be part of one of the most spectacular roadracing events in Germany. The world’s best motorbike riders in the MotoGPTM world championship have been competing on the course since 1998, and attract visitor numbers up to 230,000 (2011) every year, putting the Sachsenring in the world’s Top 5.
With its support programme, which invites visitors to celebrate not only on the showground on the Grand Prix weekend but also to the entire region, there is something for everybody’s tastes. You can find out more about this place of pilgrimage for motorbike fans from all over the world at: www.sachsenring-gp.de/en
Year of establishment2004
Annual eventMotorrad Grand Prix Deutschland