task of EFDS (European Society of Thin Films) is to promote close collaboration between organizations and institutions that operate on the fields of material development, plant engineering, subcontract treatment services and surface characterization as well as the consumer sectors in the industry. Founded in Dresden in 1992, EFDS is a registered association of the vacuum and plasma surface technology industry and currently has 170 members – plant construction and job-coater organizations, institutions, establishments and private individuals, mostly from Germany, but also from Belgium, Denmark, France, Greece, Liechtenstein, the Netherlands, Austria, Switzerland and the USA.
• The application of financial advancements and supervision of industrial joint research projects
• Project and network management, for example NEMO projects in cooperation with the AiF/BMWi
• Consultation regarding surface technology issues, particularly innovative processes of vacuum and plasma surface treatment
• Placement of competent job-coater organizations and plant construction companies as well as the organization of sample coating
• Consultation for enterprise management
• Drafting of approval certificates and surveys of new projects, markets and investment plans as well as the formulation of policy recommendations
• Representation of EFDS and its member organizations at trade fairs
• Organization of conferences, workshops and industry exhibitions, consumer forums and similar events
EFDS has held the position of management of the plasma surface technology research group since 2005. Associated therewith is the organization and implementation of the international congress “Plasma Surface Engineering-PSE” on a two-yearly basis. The 11. PSE congress took place from 15.–19.09.2008 with great international participation in Garmisch-Partenkirchen; the 12. PSE is planned for the 13.–17.09.2010. A further highlight is the event series “Industrieausstellung & Workshop-Woche Vakuumbeschichtung und Plasmaoberflächentechnik”, which will likewise be carried out on a two-yearly basis the V2009 is scheduled for 20.– 22.10.2008 in Dresden.
Amongst others things, EFDS is a member of the SILICON SAXONY eV network and organizes technology-transfer events, particularly for Saxon organizations and establishments.
Year of foundation1992
Business activities• Plant engineering and construction
• Technology transfer
• Surface coating
• Vacuum coating
• Plasma surface engineering
• Thin films
• Vacuum equipment
• Workshops, Conferences
• Industry exhibitions
• Industrial joint research